Sunday, November 3, 2013

daring to be uncomfortable?

"it is time: we are all done with the drug of comfortable and dare to live the dream of the uncomfortable. it is time: we're all hungry for God--and He is OUTSIDE of our comfort zones. this is what faith is." -anne voskamp.

dreaming of what's uncomfortable? this is rarely my first response. i cling to what is comfortable and fight my hardest to keep it close. i run from the uncomfortable and build walls to keep it out. i like the known, the expected, the safe, the plan...and yet, here in this place i'm realizing that is not usually where the Lord will let us rest. there's not much in the Bible about being comfortable. it talks about sacrificing everything for the sake of the Gospel; it speaks of going to unknown places and awaiting what the Lord might have; it talks about leaps of faith. that little red thread running throughout each page weaves the story of a Savior who surrendered all that was comfortable and took on a life of ultimate discomfort--for our sake. 

if i say i want my life to look more like Jesus, i think i am going to have to give up this 'drug of comfortable' more thoroughly. i sure don't know what that means, and it scares me a bit even to type it. what i'm learning is that in giving up what is comfortable (life at home, family and friends close by, chick-fil-a, my dreamed of 'picket fence' life...), Jesus meets me in the uncomfortable and brings me closer to Himself. He tells me He is enough, and here He shows it to me firsthand. He tells me He is my one true comfort, and i'm finally starting to grasp what that looks like. in my tendency to surround myself with what is comfortable, i also tend to forget about this call to ABIDE. the comfortable lulls me into a sense of self-adequacy, and that is not where i want to land.

so in a place that is severely uncomfortable, i'm asking for more of Jesus. to know more of Him, to trust Him more deeply, to believe Him more wholly. i long for His kingdom come...what would it really mean for it to come on earth as it is in heaven? our purpose is His glory: may the uncomfortable make that goal ever more clear! we are not yet home, so for now, i ask for the uncomfortable.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, great post. Thanks for taking the time to articulate what you are learning in this area of "comfort". . . great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. Thank you for writing that. I love love love that quote!

    ReplyDelete